Posted on 09/13/2023
Angelenos know a thing or two about brush fires. But are we all ready for an extended wildfire season?
Your Los Angeles City Fire Department has tips on how to get yourself and your home prepared for wildfire season:
- If you see smoke or fire in your area, immediately report it to 9-1-1
- Move combustible yard furniture away from the house or store it in the garage
- Close all windows and doors to prevent sparks from blowing inside
- Keep a pair of comfortable shoes and a flashlight handy (for a nighttime evacuation)
- Keep the six “P’s” ready, in case immediate evacuation is required:
- People and pets
- Papers, phone numbers, and important documents
- Prescriptions, vitamins, and eyeglasses
- Pictures and irreplaceable memorabilia
- PCs (laptops, tablets, and/or smart phones)
- Plastic (credit or debit cards) and cash
For more information on brush clearance around properties, visit the LAFD's Fire Prevention page.